The Nation's Health

Tropical Shredded BBQ Chicken

I will admit, that sometimes my food habits are considered strange. My older sister has commented time and again. However there are certain aspects such as only eating the filling of a sandwich that I will not give up. If the canvas (bread) is lackluster and not contributing to the piece, why bother. I'd rather pick up a fork and eat the insides. Admittance #2, I'm a bit of a bread snob, so I won't waste my time or calories on something mediocre. So even though I ate my first shredded BBQ chicken sandwich with some whole wheat, all future occurrences took place without, it was that good. :)

In the beginning I was skeptical about adding in pineapple with something so American as BBQ, but I'm glad I rebelled against that convention and tried something new! Thanks to EatLiveRun for this recipe.

BBQ on an English Muffin.
Tropical Shredded BBQ Chicken

1 pound chicken tenderloins or thighs
1 can pineapple chunks or tidbits (drained, you can save the juice for something else - don't buy w/syrup)
1 onion (chopped)
1 bottle BBQ sauce (I used a vinegar based sauce - less sweet and more tangy)
Spices to taste - I added in some dried mustard and chili powder

Dump everything (maybe use only 3/4 of the BBQ sauce bottle) in to a crock pot and set to low for 7 hours. Take chicken out and pull apart with forks to shred, then put back in crock pot for another hour on low to allow the chicken to soak up the juices. You can leave everything on warming until ready to enjoy. :)

Super simple to set up and should be ready by the time you get home from work!